I'm Fishy

This is more a journal than any vain conceit that someone cares about my pet care habits.
If however you are entertained or informed, more power to you!


Saturday, January 19, 2008

Big Haul


Big trip to Fintique today. Originally, my intention was to bring the zodiac loach in, but my half-hearted attempts to corral it were futile. Thier website indicated that they had kuhli loaches (not golden) in stock, as well as algae eating shrimp that I could stock my 10-gallon with.

I was excited to see they still had plenty of kuhli loaches, so I picked up half a dozen to go with the six golden kuhlis I already had ($9). I was worried that I only saw a couple of algae eating shrimp, but once we started rummaging around in there, a few more popped up and we nabbed the only five we saw ($5). I wanted another dozen ghost shrimp for the main tank ($0.99), and also got a few new plants species for the 10-gallon tank (~$4), and some driftwood for the zodiac loach ($1.99). So for about $20, I got what I consider quite a haul.

I removed a bunch of java moss to make room for the new plants in the 10-gallon tank. The algae-eating shrimp settled right in, and I put a "pregnant" ghost shrimp I found in the 30-gallon in with them. The kuhli loaches swam around a bit to check out their new digs; I kept a close eye on the zodiac loach in case he started making too much trouble. I was surprised both that the zodiac was a bit more passive than expected (maybe he was overwhelmed?) and also that when he did posture and "attack" the kuhlis, they responded very passively, sometimes seemlingly not noticing they were supposed to be terrified.

A few hours later, they had all found hiding spaces in one part of the tank or another. I was quite surprised/worried that a couple had taken up residence near the new driftwood I added to the zodiac's cave; I guess it's extensive enough now that there's room for multiple inhabitants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home