I'm Fishy

This is more a journal than any vain conceit that someone cares about my pet care habits.
If however you are entertained or informed, more power to you!


Monday, January 21, 2008

Too Good to be True?


The CO2 to the 10-gallon tank made me 10 minutes later to work than I would have been. It's just not working as consistently as I'd like. I don't know if I need a new check valve or regulating valve, or both, but I don't trust it right now. In order to assuage my fears in the short term, I have set it to turn on a couple hours earlier so that I can check its output before I leave in the morning.

I found a happy sight when I came home today. The golden kuhlis were out and about -- or as out and about as they get, anyway. I am 100% sure I saw five of them and 99% sure I saw all six. On the other hand, I didn't spot any of the striped kuhlis right away; eventually I noticed a couple rummaging around in the mucky muck at the base of the rotala indica thicket.

Not to jinx myself, but I am as happy with the tank as I have ever been, I believe. I don't know if it's knowing that the golden kuhlis are all alive, or being complimented on the quality of renekii I brought in to Alamo Aquatics, or the lack of growth of algae on the plants or glass recently, but I'm very content with the setup right now. Which has the added benefit of giving me more time to dedicate to my new 10-gallon! Having said all that, I would not be surprised if everything goes to hell shortly.

In the meantime, to address my last lingering bugaboo about the 30-gallon, I just ordered a MagDrive 250 pump from Petsmart.com (as well as a couple bags of food in order to get to $50 so that I could get $10 off). Here's hoping it runs more quietly and is lower-maintenance than my current Rio. I'd like to run it externally, so I'll have to set up an intake for it, but that shouldn't be a huge problem (*knock on wood*).

At night, it seemed the kuhlis all came out to play. I have to assume the zodiac loach was sleeping or has very poor night vision. They were all over his "turf" in the back of the tank. I saw one of each species wrapped around the AquaClear intake, and I even saw a couple twister around each other in the rotala thicket, so that reassured me that there would probably be no problems with the species getting along with each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home