I'm Fishy

This is more a journal than any vain conceit that someone cares about my pet care habits.
If however you are entertained or informed, more power to you!


Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Pregger Cherries


I dropped some algae wafer pieces into the 10-gallon this evening, and as my cherry shrimp hungrily flocked to them, I took some time to observe them. I noticed at least two, but probably three "pregnant" cherry shrimp! Wanting to know how long I can expect them to carry the eggs, I searched out this website that stated eggs usually took 2-4 weeks to hatch.

The site says the incubation time is dependent on temperature, but doesn't say how it relates. I'm inclined to think that higher temperatures would induce earlier hatching, but I don't plan on tinkering with anything anyway. So I suppose I'll wait a few more weeks, and try to identify when the eggs hatch, and whether or not the zodiac loach starts looking plumper.

I might as well take a little time to document my unsuccessful attempt to remove BBA from the java fern in my 5-gallon. I knew people had treated BBA successfully with spot treatment of Excel, but I didn't have a syringe to due it in situ. So I invented a 10% Excel bath treatment. I left the fern in there, barely submersed, for 30 minutes before replacing it in the 5-gallon. Well, I successfully killed the BBA, but I also killed the java fern. I'm leaving it in there for now, as there are a couple of fronds that are still green, but I cannot recommend the 10% Excel bath to anyone else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home