I'm Fishy

This is more a journal than any vain conceit that someone cares about my pet care habits.
If however you are entertained or informed, more power to you!


Friday, February 15, 2008

Unraveling the Mystery


My thread on Aquamaniacs.net has started to yield some answers. I was led to this website which has let me to believe I captured a Gordian, or horsehair worm. The description matched what I have, from the tapered, indistinguishable ends, to the thin, coiled/knotted body positions.

Fortunately, it is not dangerous to me or pepper. At first, I thought it harmless to my fish and shrimp for that matter. According to this website, however, it preys on invertebrates as well as insects. In fact, thinking back, I remember seeing a white, squiggly mass in one of the ghost shrimp I bought, but at the time, I blamed that oddity on something he ate. Since mine was the adult form, he probably was harmless, but on the off chance that he managed to spawn, I put him down the sink anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home