I'm Fishy

This is more a journal than any vain conceit that someone cares about my pet care habits.
If however you are entertained or informed, more power to you!


Saturday, February 23, 2008

Busy Day


Just a crazy day. While I was pulling out a young, tall tiger lotus from some shade, I was considering pulling out the breeding net since none of the eggs looked viable. Then, I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye.

Upon closer examination, I saw a tiny fishie swimming about: a cory fry! Of course, I had to stare for another 15 minutes, and I believe I saw a total of four at once. Not terribly great odds out of the 100+ eggs I put in there, but it was a welcome surprise after I had written the entire clutch off. Here is a video (with the camera held sideways) that attempts to do the sight justice:


Two more (shorter, more ambiguous):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEgO7UR8U78
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G09dDfrXwiw

Of course, since I didn't think any eggs were going to hatch, I had never tried to hatch any baby brine shrimp. I got that breeding box set up as soon as I could; it's a little patchwork right now; I wanted to make sure the water was warm so that I'd have some babies before I left town on Monday morning. I ran air (which was pretty messy) until most of the eggs sank to the bottom, as I believe they are supposed to do (the instructions on the packet say the egg shells will float up once they hatch).

As I was cleaning up the sink at night (I had to shuffle the siphon around to change 50% water on the 5 gallon tank), I found a snail shell. I thought it odd that I would forget a snail shell there; when I picked it up, I saw the operculum was shut tight. Sure enough, I dropped her in the tank, and she started opening up. The edge of her shell that was exposed when the operculum was pulled past it showed signs of weakness, leading me to believe she had been out of the tank for at least a day.

When she finally opened up all the way, I noticed she spit out some sort of fleshy carcass. I'm am at a loss for what that was, but I found myself more concerned with the fact that she immediately began sprinting up the tank wall to the filter, as if she were going to try to escape again. I'm hoping the tank doesn't suck that much; maybe she's looking for an appropriate place to lay some eggs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home